Advice for caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s
- Allow time and patience for your loved one to express any feelings/concerns/issues
- Provide empathy and understanding of your loved ones needs
- Promote one to one time
- Ensure the environment is conducive to your relatives needs
Focus on personal abilities;
- Allow the individual to carry out tasks in their own time and at their own pace.
- Always explain what you are doing and why
- Encourage independence by allowing them to complete tasks by themselves and provide guidance and support where needed.
- Break down complex tasks into more simpler forms
- Offer choices and respect their decisions
- Be respectful, maintain dignity and privacy
- Speak slowly and use short simple words and phrases.
- Identify yourself when engaging with your loved one
- Focus on one piece of information at a time
- Use clocks, calendars and familiar personal effects